[b-hebrew] Hebrew-speaking Philistines

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Sat Oct 20 19:43:19 EDT 2007

A lot has been written about the Philistines' presumed acculturazation. On
one hand, we know that the Philistines arrived together with other so-called
"Sea Peoples", from the Aegean Sea area and there are aspects of their
material culture and even the little we knw of some of their names and
language which do signify an Aegean origin. The Bible also ties them to
Kittim or Chaphtor - Crete or maybe Cypress.

On the other hand, those Aegean immigrants were a minority who settled among
a largely Canaanite population, and quickly began assimilating Canaanite
influences. For example, some of the Philistine cultic artifacts are
different from Canaanite ones. On the other hand, "Dagon" and "Baal Zebub"
(or, more probably, "Baal Zebul") are Canaanite divine names. SO, did the
Philistines begin worshiping Canaanite gods, or did they identify their old
gods with equivalent Canaanite gods (such syncretism was very common), or
was it just the writers of  the Bible who did the identifying? Remember,
neither god is known from any Philistine inscription.

So yes, chances are that Philistines and Israelites could understand each
other, even if the Philistine "upper classes" also had their own Aegean
language. But that's really not the point that interests the author of
Judges. He has the Philistines speaking good Hebrew because it's convenient
for him to do so. Judges 13-16 is not a factual word-for-word account of
historical events. It's a story, a re-telling of events that may or may not
have happened, but in any case written in such a way as to get messages
across to a Hebrew-speaking audience, and so written in good Hebrew. Having
to deal with the question of just how well Samson and the Philistines
understood each other would have made the storytelling complicated, and
since it's not important to the story, the writer did not bother with it.

Yigal Levin