[b-hebrew] Ps 40:6 (Isaac Fried)

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Sat Oct 20 19:19:16 EDT 2007

Yaakob,

I wholeheartedly agree with you that the Hebrew word (EREK from the
root (RK means 'value', no question about this. L-HA-(ARIK is
commonly used today in the sense of 'to estimate, to fix a value'. My
point was not the English equivalent of the root (RK but its
etymology. The word 'value' is abstract and is certainly derived from
a prior plainer word of more tangible or concrete meaning. English
Etymology dictionaries are in agreement that 'value' [related to
'volume' and 're-volve'] is derived from the Latin 'valere', 'to be
big and strong' [like a whale or a wall or a ball or a swollen
balloon?].
Hebrew L-HA-(ARIK of the root (RK is 'to find the extent or size of
an object' and in this sense it is clearly related to the root )RK.
The word )AROK, 'long' [related to 'link'?], from the root )RK is
also abstract and needs to be made comprehensible in terms of a
physically demonstrable situation. If five people stay in a line,
then the line is )AROK. If five more people add themselves to the
line, then the line becomes longer, YOTER )AROK; and if two hundred
people form the line, then it is indeed )AROK M)OD. Here is what long
is, and it is easy to estimate, L-HA-(ARIK, its )OREK. If twenty
people form a compact cluster then the cluster is RAXAB, 'wide', but
as soon as they uncoil the cluster and array themselves in a linearly
serial formation it becomes instead )AROK.
All geometrical notions are based in Hebrew on the idea of an
aggregate being dispersed. This is why the letter R is present in
almost all of them, to wit: )AROK, KACAR, RAXAB, CAR, YA$AR, KAROB,
RAXOQ, RAM, RADUD. In this sense the root )RK is closely related to
the roots )RX [also to the Hebrew words RUAX, 'wind', REYAX, 'smell'
and REYXAIYM, 'millstones'] and )RK. Then to the word RAK, 'soft,
pliable, extensible'. Whatever is RAK can be made )AROK.
)RK is also related to the roots )RG, 'weave', (RG, 'linger, be long,
be arrayed', [as the (ARUGAH, 'bed' of Song of Songs 5:13 is] and
(RK, 'stretch' [see Job 30:17].
Thus, )EYN (AROK )ELEYKA of Psalms 40:7 is 'nothing measures up to you'.

Isaac Fried, Boston University