Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Sat Oct 20 16:38:31 EDT 2007

In the Bible, or at least most of it, everyone speaks good Hebrew. So do the
Egyptians in Genesis and Exodus, the Midianites in Exodus and Judges, the
Moabites in Judges, Arameans in Kings, all of the sailors and the people of
Nineveh in Jonah and so on. This is just one more indication that the
biblical authors did not intend to write word-for-word historical accounts
of actual events - they had messages to get across, and wanted those
messages to be as clear as possible to their intended audience - who of
course spoke Hebrew. Only in those few places in which the foreigners'
language was a part of the story did the writers make an effort to make them
sound foreign.

As far as Yaakov's mention of the Ekron Inscription, Achish ben Padi's use
of the title Sar rather than Melekh can be explained in three ways, none of
them really satisfactory:

1. As Yaakov suggested, a throwback to what is presumably the old Philistine
title Seren, used in the Bible for the rulers of the five major Philistine
cities, and often thought to be connected to the Greek Tyranos. The problem
with this is both the use of Sin and not Samekh, but more so the missing
Nun.

2. Using Sar, which in Hebrew/Canaanite is a lower rank than Melekh (king),
because the Philistines were subsurvient to the Assyrian Melekh (king). The
problem with this is that the Assyrians themselves, in inscriptions by both
Sennacherib and Essarhadon, had no problem with referring to both Padi and
Achish (Ikaysu) by the title "king" (Sharru in Akkadian). So why would
Achish feel obligated to use a lesser title?

3. The use of "Sar" is actually an adoption of the Akkadian "Sharru" used by
the Assyrian overlords. Possible, but if so then unique.

Yigal Levin