[b-hebrew] "Salt" Statue: Lot's Wife

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Sat Oct 20 16:17:39 EDT 2007

Jim, although there are people on this list who are more expert on the
lingiustics, since you addressed your post to me, I'll answer.

1. I agree that the Bible in general and the Patriarchal narratives in
particular do use puns, and that these are often overlooked. Obviously, they
are usually lost in translation.

2. However in this case - your suggestion does not work. Although the sounds
of Het (X in the trasliteration used on this list) and Khaph seem similar to
most western ears, and are in fact pronounced the same by many Israelis as
well, historically they are not, and the two letters are NEVER
interchangable. So there is no way in which anyone would use Melax (salt)
and Melekh (king). As far as Mal)akh (messenger/angel), the Aleph is part of
the root (Lamed-Aleph-Kaph), and not just a "vowel-like letter" that can be
ignored, although a pun here might work.

3. Although you did not ask me to comment on the rest of your
reconstruction, it is simply not based on anything. There is no indication
in the text that Lot's wife was "guilty" of refusing her husband anything,
nor of the story of the locked-up queen that she was supposed to remind the
readers of. The text says that she was punnished for looking back after they
were all told not to. That's all it says. One can speculate endlessly about
why looking back was a capital crime (and in fact commentators have been
speculating about it for centuries), but there is no justification to just
make up stories that are not even hinted at.

Yigal Levin