[b-hebrew] Genesis 15: 4: bowels/me'ah vs. loins/chalats

Bryant J. Williams III bjwvmw at com-pair.net
Fri Oct 19 13:31:21 EDT 2007

Dear Jim,

I refer you to TWOT, Volume 1, pp. 518-519, "M`H," by Victor Hamilton.

"The noun ME`eH is used thirty-two times in the OT, always in the plural, ME`IM.
The KJV most often retains the translation "bowels" but the RSV opts for a more
euphemistic translation unless the word is used in a passage with the literal
sense of the intestines.

The are three major ways in which the word is used. First, the word may be used
literally, to refer to one's internal organs, the bowels, the stomach." The
article refers to Ezekiel 3:3; 7:19; II Chronicles 21:15 (2x), 18-19.

"The second way in the ME`eH is used is to refer to the reproductive organs,
both mail and female. Hence, more than simply digestive organs are involved. We
are now thinking in terms of the reporductive system, the male and female sexual
apparatus (Gen 15:4; 25:23; Ruth 1:11; II Sam 16:11; 17:12; II Chr 32:21; Isa
48:19)."

"The third way in which ME`eH is used is in a figrative, metaphorical sense to
denote the seat of emotions." Dr. Hamilton then refers, again to Isa 63:15; Jer
31:20, and also to other similiar expressions referring to the emotions,
compassion, etc.

[Bryant]
So, No, this is Moses way of using a synonym that God has used for the internal
reproductive organs.

Rev. Bryant J. Williams III