[b-hebrew] Genesis 15: 4: bowels/me'ah vs. loins/chalats

JimStinehart at aol.com JimStinehart at aol.com
Fri Oct 19 11:22:09 EDT 2007

Rev. Bryant J. Williams  III:
You raise a fascinating issue regarding  Hebrew language when you write:
"Genesis 15 is quite clear that a child from Abram's (Abraham's) own body  will
be born (vss. 1-6)."
Let me set forth the controversial issue  here regarding the exact Hebrew
wording involved.  And then perhaps the experts in Biblical  Hebrew on this list
(perhaps including you?) can help us understand the precise  meaning of two
different Hebrew words.
1.  Jacob/"Israel" is promised, unambiguously, that his heir will come from
his "loins".
"'[K]ings shall come out of thy  loins'".  Genesis 35:  11
The Hebrew word used there for "loins" is "chalats":  cheth
(het)-lamedh-tsade.  (Strong's  #2504)
That is an unambiguous Hebrew word that means "loins".  Jacob could not adopt
a boy who was not  Jacob's own blood descendant, because such an adopted boy
would clearly, and  unequivocally, not be coming from Jacob's "loins"/chalats.
2.  But when  Abraham is promised an heir at Genesis 15: 4, the unambiguous
word chalats/loins  is not used.  Rather, here is what  Genesis 15: 4 says:
"And, behold, the word of the LORD [YHWH] came unto him,  saying:  'This man
shall not be thine heir;  but he that shall come forth out of thine  own
bowels shall be thine heir.'"  Genesis 15: 4
The word aptly translated there as "bowels" is  me'ah:  mem-ayin-heh.
(Strong's #4578)  That Hebrew word literally means  "intestines" or "stomach".  A
good  English translation, though using slang, might be  "gut".
3.  Why isn't  Abraham unequivocally promised at Genesis 15: 4 that Abraham's
proper heir will  come from Abraham's "loins"/chalats?  Why is ambiguous (or
arguably ambiguous) wording used at Genesis 15:  4?
4.  If  Abraham's heir comes from Abraham's
bowels/gut/intestines/stomach/me'ah, does  that imply that Abraham's heir may not be coming from Abraham's
loins?  Does the word bowels/me'ah at least  leave open the possibility that
Abraham may end up adopting a close male blood  relative as his heir, who is not
literally Abraham's own blood son?  If the author of the text wanted to rule
out the adoption alternative, why doesn't Genesis 15: 4 then refer to
loins/chalats?
5.  In fact,  I see Isaac as being Abraham's blood son.  But the point I keep
making is that in my opinion, for many years Abraham  himself was not quite
sure whether Isaac was Abraham's blood son or Abraham's  adopted son.  It may
well be that  Abimelech never came near Sarah, but the text does not present
Abraham as  knowing that.
6.  I would  greatly appreciate any help the experts on Biblical Hebrew could
give us as to  the meanings of chalats vs. me'ah in Biblical  Hebrew.
I myself evaluate those two words as follows.  "Chalats" precludes the
possibility of  Abraham adopting a close male blood relative as his heir.  "Me'ah",
by contrast, leaves open (or  may leave open) the possibility that Abraham
might end up adopting a close male  blood relative as his heir, especially if
Abraham has first tried everything  possible to sire a son the regular way by
Sarah, and Abraham makes sure his  adopted son will in due course marry a blood
descendant of Abraham's father  (such as Rebekah).
In sum, I myself see "me'ah" as being ambiguous on the  blood/adoption issue,
whereas I see "chalats" as unambiguously being limited  solely to a blood
descendants.
7.  Based on  the precise (or imprecise) meaning of Biblical Hebrew, is it
significant, or  irrelevant, that Genesis 15: 4 does not promise that Abraham's
heir will come  from Abraham's loins/chalats, but rather says that Abraham's
heir will come from  Abraham's bowels/gut/me'ah?
Jim Stinehart
Evanston, Illinois