[b-hebrew] Lev 1:9 - Burnt Offering

Bruce Prince bruceprince at bigpond.com
Fri Oct 19 03:53:53 EDT 2007

Dear Folks

I was recently interested to read that "burnt offering" (Heb:'olah) has more
an implication of ascent rather than a sacrifice that is simplyburnt/roasted
over flame.

This is supported, among other things, by the smoke, which ascends, and
meets the approval of God. Also, as the sin offering pointed to the ultimate
sacrifice of the Son of God, it can perhaps be seen that the act wasn't
completed until he had ascended to God the Father.

I'm wondering if you, who are Hebrew linguists, could comment on this
please?

Cheers

Bruce Prince
Australia