[b-hebrew] Genesis 20: 1

Shoshanna Walker rosewalk at concentric.net
Thu Oct 18 18:35:40 EDT 2007

Chapter 20 verse 7:

Here is where the Torah tells what I had just posted, and also tells
us that Avimelech did NOT sleep with her in the end:  G-d is talking
to Avimelech in his dream:  "But now return the man's wife FOR HE IS
A PROPHET"  (ie; he therefore knows that you did not touch her, and
therefore...) "he will pray for you and you will live"

We also know that Avimelech did not touch her, because G-D SAID SO in
verse 6 (G-d stopped him by His warning to him)

There is no need to question if Avimelech lied to his servants or
not, because G-d doesn't lie!

(This is in response to your:  "Whether Abimelech is being truthful
or not in claiming to  his servants that
Abimelech had not come near Sarah we will never know.  In my view,
the author of the  Patriarchal narratives wants us to understand
these verses as being what  Abimelech said to his servants, not as
necessarily being what actually  happened.")

Shoshanna

  In particular, at the  point that Abraham utters that profound
fertility prayer for Abimelech, how  could Abraham have known what
had actually gone
on the previous  night?
Jim Stinehart
Evanston, Illinois