[b-hebrew] Ps 40:6

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Wed Oct 17 23:30:31 EDT 2007

John,

(RK is a member of the root family )RX, )RK, (RK, all essentially
meaning 'to array or arrange in a linear or in a sequential order',
and by implication 'to estimate length, to asses value, to size, to
fix a scale, to argue or demonstrate deductively by logical steps, to
plan. They are also related to the roots RHH [see Isaiah 44:8], RKK,
and RQQ, all meaning 'to be soft, to be pliable, to be extensible'.
Also to the roots RXQ and RQX.
 From the root )RX we have: )ORAX, 'way, life-style', )ORXAH,
'caravan, a series of beasts', )ARUXAH, '[lengthy] meal [of several
dishes]', and [the non biblical] )ARIAX, 'tile'.
 From the root )RK we have )AROK, 'long, extended'.
 From the root (RK we have: (EREK, 'value', and MA-(ARAK, 'arrangement'.
It appears to me that the )EYN (AROK )ELEYKA of Psalms 40:7 means
'you are incomparable, you are inestimable, you are unsurpassed, you
are incommensurable, you have no definite value'.
I see other interesting uses of the root (RK in Psalms 5:4 and 50:21.
The fact that these roots include the letter R is a sure indication,
in my opinion, that they all refer to a state of dispersion or
aggregation.

Isaac Fried, Boston University