[b-hebrew] collecting myrrh and honey

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Wed Oct 17 22:05:52 EDT 2007

Yaakob,

What is in interesting in the story of judges 14 is that the
Philistines appear to have spoken good Hebrew. So may be the
dictionary's assessment of them:

1.  A member of an Aegean people who settled ancient Philistia around
the 12th century b.c.
2.  A smug, ignorant, especially middle-class person who is regarded
as being indifferent or antagonistic to artistic and cultural values.
One who lacks knowledge in a specific area.

is not entirely true.
What appears to be true is that theirs was a culture steeped in
brutality, and that Samson was part of it.
The root )RH consist of the sole consonant R, the rest are fillers.
So all we can say with certainty about this root is that it means
'loose, free'. Not being a botanist nor a horticulturist it is not
clear to me what the king exactly did in "his garden". Did he pluck
leaves, did he break tender shoots, did he pick fruits or did he suck
sap? I don't know. The same goes for Psalms 80:13.
)RR means 'to curse', but it may also mean 'to undermine', to cause
somebody to become M-(UR(AR.
)ARAH DBA$ M-HA-(ARI sounds good to me. For some reason the bible
uses the [clearer?] two-consonant root RDH for the extraction of the
honey instead of the one-consonant root )RH.

Isaac Fried, Boston University