[b-hebrew] collecting myrrh and honey

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Tue Oct 16 19:06:57 EDT 2007

Yaakob,

It is my firm belief that the presence of the letter R in a Hebrew
root implies that it describes a state of dispersion or aggregation.
So MOR of Song of Songs 3:6 as well as 5:1 is a sap or a powder. It
is related to RAR of Leviticus 15:3, RIR, 'saliva, pus' of Job 6:6
and 1 Samuel 21:14, and M-ROR-AH of Job 20:14. It is also related to
MR), 'free floating' of Job 39:18, and (UR, 'alert'    of Song of
Songs 5:2. Also to (RH of Isaiah 32:15 and Genesis 24:20. Also to
"Aramaic" )ARA(, 'occur'.
You are right in stating that MOR may be related to MAR, 'bitter',
but it is unclear which comes from which. In fact, as far as I can
recall MOR is never explicitly mentioned in the Hebrew bible having a
sharp taste. Even the passover MA-ROR of Exodus 12:8 and Numbers 9:11
is 'bitter herbs' only by tradition, MI-PI HA-$MU(-AH, rather than by
botanical certainty.    Moreover, MAR as an emotional state may mean
'rattled' rather than the metaphoric 'bitter'. TA-MRUR of Jeremiah
6:26 may be 'scream', related to RU(A of Numbers 10:9, rather than
"bitter".
ARR may refer to a coursing stream of imprecations [English 'curse'
may also be related to 'course'], or it may refer to 'unsettle,
disrupt, perturb, cause to become disarrayed'.
So )RH may well mean 'gather, draw, pour in or out, loosen, dislodge,
extract, eject'. In this sense it is related to )OR, 'light'. The
king gathered in his garden the delicacies of MOR and BOSEM.
In any event, "I came to my garden" of S of S 5:1 may not mean what
it materially and superficially appears to mean [as correctly pointed
out now by Karl Randolph for "nibble"]. Notice also the semi-explicit
language of S of S 4:16 and 6:2.

Isaac Fried, Boston University