[b-hebrew] Translation theory and the tetragrammaton - YHWH

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Tue Oct 16 12:14:03 EDT 2007

Dear James,

I shock myself by agreeing with Isaac here. Proper names (personal and
places as well) are better left untranslated, although obviously those who
have to read the text in translation should be told ther meaning, since the
text very often puns, drashes or otherwise makes use of the meanings of
names, in ways that would be missed by someone who was unaware of those
meanings.

In the case of the Tetragrammaton, there have been so many thories about its
origin and "real" meaning, that only an extremely self-confident person
would really think that he finally has the true answer. Using an assumed
meaning in stead of the Name, would lead an uninformed reader to the false
conclusion that this is its real, accepted meaning. If you are the leader of
a religious sect who claims that God revealed the meaning of His name to
you, you can tell your followers whatever you want. But if you are
participating in scholarly discourse, a little modesty would be appreciated.

Besides all that, there is a 2500 year tradition to deal with. At some time
during the early Second Temple period, many Jews decided that God's true
name was two sacred to vocalize, and began using "Adonai" ("My Lord")
instead. In fact, Mishnaic tradition claims that the Name was only uttered
by the high preist once a year, on Yom Kippur. This was accepeted by the
translators of the Septuagint, who used "Kurios", and thus made its way into
mainstream Christianity as well. Jews have also traditionally avoided
writing the full four letters, except in ritual texts, and many printed
Bibles and prayer books use such abbreviations as YY. Today, many observant
Jews even avoid saying "Adonai" except when actually praying or reading the
Bible as part of the liturgy, and use "Hashem" ("the Name") instead.

I'm not sure when it became common to use "YHWH", "Yahweh" and the like in
academic writing, but my feeling is that it began as a sort of reaction or
deliberate challenge to religiously-based scholarship's insistance on
"Lord". I do understand the scholarly advantage to "reading it like it's
written", but those who do (myself included, sometimes) shout realize that
quite a few people are actually offended, or at least uncomfortable, when
they hear the tetragrammaton vocalized or see it spelled out.

Yigal Levin