[b-hebrew] Translation theory and the tetragrammaton - YHWH

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Tue Oct 16 08:07:22 EDT 2007

James,

Religious beliefs apart, reading ancient names grammatically could be
a grave mistake. It is unrealistic that YICXAQ is He-will-laugh and YA
(AKOB is He-will-follow-in-the-footsteps. I also think that the ABI-
of ABI-MELEK is not the-father-of. It is certainly incongruous in the
girl names ABI-GAYIL [see 1 Samuel 25:3], and ABI-$AG [see 1 Kings
1:3]. Similarly, the BAT- in  BAT-$EB(A [see 2 Samuel 11:3] and BAT-$U
(A [see 1 chronicles 3:5] need not be the-daughter-of. In fact, the
latter is the daughter of Ammiel.

Isaac Fried, Boston University