[b-hebrew] Eretz Yisrael - Palestine

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Tue Oct 16 02:30:22 EDT 2007

Shoshanna,

Although it was I who wrote that in present-day academic discourse it would
be better not to use "Palestine" when referring to the Land in pre-Roman
times, I don't recall the Torah ever calling it "Eretz Yisrael" either. In
fact in the entire Tanakh, the term "Eretz Yisrael" is NEVER used as a
general geographic name for the entire Land, but only for those parts that
were occupied by Israelites during whatever period was being referred to.
The one possible exception is relatively late, in Ezekiel 48:18, where the
Jordan River is said to be the border between Gilead and "the land of
Israel". But even here, Ezekiel was probably referring to the boundaries of
the Neo-Babylonian period provinces, and using "the land of Israel" to refer
to the province of Samaria.

In any case, as George wrote, "It will be taken as read that innocuous
references to 'Palestine' are mere geographic labels which make no statement
about current politics in the Middle East."

Yigal Levin