[b-hebrew] Genesis 20: 1

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Tue Oct 16 01:29:07 EDT 2007

Shoshana,

It is not only what the Torah says but more so what we understand her
saying as she winks at us. The bible very rarely refers to the human
physiognomy [one exception is 1 Samuel 16:12, where ADMONI may allude
to hair color]. The fact of the matter is that SARAYI was
exceptionally beautiful to the point of causing, upon her arrival
there, a national stir in Egypt [see Genesis 12:14] and her being
eventually taken to the king's house. There must have been something
very very unusual about her person to warrant such interest in her by
a satiated king who had a well stocked harem of beautiful girls of
all ages and shapes [methinks].
Picture the hormonal upheaval that a tall, fair skinned, blond
haired, blue eyed [Nordic?] woman would have caused in the land of
the tawny [the reverse is, of course, true too].
This was possibly also what drove the Egyptian mistress of Joseph the
righteous crazy with lust [see Genesis 39:6-7].
I suspect that the three sons of NOAX, $EM, XAM, and YEPET are the
olive skinned, the dark skinned, and the fair skinned.

Isaac Fried, Boston University