[b-hebrew] Genesis 20: 1

biblical hebrew jcr.bhebrew at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 04:38:32 EDT 2007

Hi Jim,

this is an interesting discussion you've aroused. Until now I've been a
passive bystander and listened to the arguments of both sides. Positive and
negative points worthy of consideration have been raised by both sides and
it has been interesting to listen in on. May I offer a few comments and
raise a few questions.

Firstly, I would like to say that the concerns raised with regard to
inseperable Hebrew constructions are valid concerns and any translation you
offer should be in harmony with them. At this point I would like to request
that you provide a colloquial English translation of what you are proposing
as the punctuation scheme you seem to be offering does nothing, in my mind,
to illuminate new meaning to the verse but does everything to completely
obscure any sensical meaning from it.

I understand your argument about 'to the South' versus 'to the Negeb
(desert)' and agree that you have a valid point worth considering, however,
your arguments based on where a nomad would go to have a child are, as
previously observed, meaningless and hardly worth considering.

Regards confusion over spelling of place names I would like to grant your
theory the benefit of the doubt as there are many multi lingual forces at
play with such things as ANE place names and so won't raise any serious
objections to these suggestions.

What is of greatest interest to this discussion is evidence you have offered
from the Armana letters regarding the situation with Abimelech. Could you
provide specific quotes from these letters regarding the hebrews and the
philistines and Abimelech? It would enrich the discussion no end to have
something concrete to look at. The reason I ask is that I am wondering if
there was any confusion between the Hebrews and the Philistines from
Abimelech's point of view. When the same story is told from different
viewpoints there are generally typical differences between the two accounts
as any experienced policeman will be glad to relate to you.

Finally, a polite request. Could you please separate your paragraphs with
empty lines and in some way signify where your quotation of another list
member ends (preferably also with a line space and some sort of indication
of where your comments start)? Some list members adopt the unofficial
protocol of initialising where their comments begin so that it is clear who
is talking. It would make your sizeable posts more readable if there were
some visual layout to them so that readers already familiar with the context
of points raised by other list members you quote can skip to the beef - that
is to say, your response to the points you are quoting. Also separating your
paragraphs with empty lines, for me, would make it more digestible to read
your long posts as when you can see one small paragraph at a time it makes
it less daunting to read in the brief spare moments our busy lives allow us
to have.

Thanks in advance. Great discussion!

http://www.lamie.org/hebrew       Thesis 1 - Aleppo codex machine translation
http://www.lamie.org/lad-sim.doc  Thesis 2 - language acquisition simulation