[b-hebrew] Genesis 20: 1

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Sat Oct 13 20:56:32 EDT 2007

Yitzhak,

You are undoubtebly correct that the verb "NGB" probably means "to dry". But
I still stand by what I wrote - the ONLY area whose proper name is Negev is
the Beer-sheva - Arad basin, and the use of "negev" for "south" in general
is particular only to Hebrew.

As far as Josh 15:19, the story involves the town of Debir and its conquest
by Caleb and Othniel ben Kenaz. Albright's identification of Debir with Tell
Beit Mirsim, which is in the Negev, has fallen out of favor, and the
presently accepted ientification is at Kherbet Rabud, just north of
Dhahariya, or across the road from the modern settlement of Othniel. That IS
"southland" from a Judahite perspective. The Negev of Caleb is mentioned as
being somewhere in the south in 1 Sam. 14. So the "erec hannegev" of Josh
15:19, while certainly dry, does not necessarily mean "dry land". It could
also mean "Land of the Negev" or "the land of the south".

Yigal Levin