[b-hebrew] Genesis 20: 1

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Fri Oct 12 10:16:59 EDT 2007

Pere,

First of all I want to return to my insistence that what you
persistently call "prefixes" and "suffixes" are personal pronouns. I
will concede the obvious fact, though, that over time the process of
grammaticalization made the personal pronouns conventionally indicate
tense according to their position in the word.
I can hardly imagine the [very] ancients, for which a name was so
full of significance, wasting a part of it on mere grammatical
niceties. Really, is YI-CXAQ 'he will laugh'? And if so when will he
do it, during his entire lifetime? And about what? I am not sure of
its significance and implication but I am struck by the M-CAXEQ of
Genesis 21:9 and Genesis 26:6. YI-CXAQ M-CAXEQ what is this?.
Then, what are this YI- and YO- in YOSEP, Genesis 30:24, YI$MA(EL,
Genesis 16:11, YISRAEL, Genesis 32:29, and YISSAKAR, Genesis 30:18? I
doubt that this YI- is HI), 'he', for the bearer of the name.
If YOKEBED is YHO-KEBED, as correctly pointed out to us by Yigal [YI-
G)AL] and Uri, then why not YOSEP = YHO-SEP?
I tend to think that the -HA- added to )ABRAM, Genesis 17:5, and the -
AH added to SARAIY, Genesis 17:15, are also in honor of a holy name.
While at it I also notice the resemblance of )ABRAM and (AMRAM,
Exodus 6:18.
I suspect that the -YA- of the name MIRYAM, Exodus, 15-20, is also of
this nature. Otherwise what is the meaning of this curious name MIRYAM?

Isaac Fried, Boston University