[b-hebrew] Genesis 20: 1

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Fri Oct 12 01:47:13 EDT 2007

Shoshanna,

While Karl's use of the name "Palestine" here as a general geographic term
is for what is called "Eretz-Yisrael" in Jewish discourse is widely accepted
in the academic community (including by Jews and Israelis!), it is certainly
anachronistic (since "Palestina" was only used as a name for the Land after
135 CE). Furthermore, in this day and age, the use of "Palestine" has
political conotations which, even if not intended, should probably be
avoided.

Actually though, my problem with Karl's post is geographic. Karl wrote: "To
the south of Canaan was the land of the Negev, which apparently included
Palestine and much of the Sinai. Today the historic Negev is split up into
three separate areas."

This is incorrect. In the Bible, the word "Negev" can mean one of two
things:
1. The specific area called "The Negev", which is sometimes sub-divided into
areas such as "The Negev of Judah", "The Negev of Caleb" etc. ALL of these
parts of The Negev are roughly within the Beer-sheva - Arad basin, sometimes
extending slightly farther south. The rest
of what is today called "The Negev" in modern Israel, all the way to Eilat,
is NOT called The Negev in the Bible.
2. Since The Negev is in the south of the Land, by extension the noun
"negev" is used for "south" in general - even when it does not refer to the
south of the Land. This usage, as far as we know, is unique to Hebrew, and
does not apear in other languages.

The theory that the word "negev" is derived from the verb "nageb" (NGB)
meaning "to wipe" - a place that is "wiped dry" is only that - a theory
which may or may not be correct. In any case, "Negev" is NEVER used of any
desert other that the Beer-sheva - Arad basin.

I'll grant Jim the following: "between Kadesh and Shur", assuming that the
"Kadesh" referred to is the Kadesh (Barnea) that we know, is NOT in the
Negev. Thus I do agree now that "Arcah Hannegev" here may mean "to the land
of the south" and not "to the Land of the Negev" specifically. However, as I
and others have written, the context definately points to Abraham wandering
in the south of Canaan, it makes no sense to thing that he went all the way
to Lebanon, "Shur" is NOT "Cor" (Tyre), Shin and Cade are not
interchangable, all of Jim's assumptions about where and when Abraham and
Sarah would go to have their baby are nonsensical, and in any case, if you
look at a map, "south of the line joining Tyre and (northern) Kedesh" means
nothing.

As long as we're on that, there IS a perfectly logical route that more-or
less connects Tyre with Kedesh of the Galilee, in the hills above Hazor.
This is apparently "The Way of the Sea" (Derekh Hayyam) mentioned in Isaiah
8:23 (or 9:1 in some English Bibles), the road taken by Tiglath-pileser III
in his conquest of northern Israel in 733 BCE. This name was translated as
"Via Maris" and misinterpreted as referring to the main "highway" that runs
parallel to the coast of Israel. But in any case, this has nothing to do
with Abraham.

Yigal Levin