[b-hebrew] Genesis 20: 1

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Fri Oct 12 00:02:28 EDT 2007

 Isaac,

 There is no reason at all to assume that every Yod in a name represents
 YHWH, especially since these names all have perfectly reasonable
etymologies
 without the reference to YAH. All of the Yahwistic theophoric names that we
 know about abbreviate YHWH as either Yod-He, Yod-Vav or Yod-He-Vav. Not
 surprisingly, the first such name in the Bible is Yehoshua(, who gets the
 extra He added into his previous name by Moses. (Actually, I think that
 Yokebed - "YW is glory", might also be Yahwistic).

 Yigal Levin