[b-hebrew] Genesis 20: 1

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Thu Oct 11 09:29:12 EDT 2007

Yigal,

You are saying:
"...this does not mean that every time someone says "seven", he
really means "plenty"".
I am saying He surely does. $EBA(, 'seven', is the number of plenty.
A cat that has seven lives has plenty of lives in it. The root $B( is
related to the root SB( [with sin], 'satiate'.
$B( is a member of the family of roots: SB), CB), CB(, $BH, $P(, $PH,
CP(, TB(, YP(, CBH, $W(, $WH. Hebrew does not make sense without the
understanding that its roots slightly mutate and relentlessly spread
out to produce new roots of new shades of meaning. This is the
essence of Hebrew etymology.
The common Hebrew word $IPU(A that you mention means 'piled up'. The
word HA-$PA(-AH means 'influence'. $IPU(A is like ZAW-IT, 'corner' ,
as in Psalms 144:12. Notice the interesting relationships among ZW,
ZB, CW, CB, and also DW, DB, TB, TW, TP, SB, $B, CP, $B, $P. Thus,
ZAW-IT is a CAB-IT, 'a swelling, an appendage, an inflation'
extending or jutting out.
I tend to think that $ABAT, 'sabbath', is essentially $AB(-AT, 'the
seventh day'. It is, of course, also the day of rest.
You are right in saying that biblical etymology of names is
etiological or suggestive since the meaning of a name is open to
various interpretations and different associations. There are various
simple ways of explaining the name )ADAM apart from saying that it
"comes from" )ADAM-AH, 'earth'.
There must be a simple, concrete, folk explanation for the name BEER-
$EBA(. It is unlike the new Israeli town names KIRYAT-SHMONAH, 'the
town of the eight' and MA(ALE(H-HAXAMISHAH, 'the steep of the five'.

Isaac Fried, Boston University