[b-hebrew] Genesis 20: 1

Yaakov Stein yaakov_s at rad.com
Thu Oct 11 02:35:19 EDT 2007

> Do you know of any other instance of a person having such a
geographically-relativistic name?

There are certainly lots of names that are related to place names,
especially in Genesis and Chronicles (Canaan, Yavan, ...)
and names that the story itself relates to places (e.g. Gershom).

There are a few names that may mean "from a place" (e.g. Batsheva).

Of course, we have expressions like BNY QDM.

YMYN appears in several names: Yamin, Teiman,
and specifically Eliphaz Hateimani
(although the latter may be explanatory rather than a name).

No, I can't think of other examples where the nonfigurative form
contains
a direction, unless
  Eltzaphan is interpreted with CPN as "north" instead of the easier
"hidden",
  or MRYM hides a YM=west.

Yaakov (J) Stein