[b-hebrew] Genesis 20: 1

Bryant J. Williams III bjwvmw at com-pair.net
Thu Oct 11 01:16:25 EDT 2007

Dear Jim,

I would have check out Gesenius Hebrew Grammar, pp.248-254, paragraph 90. This
sections deals with "Real and Supposed Remains of Early Case-endings."

Qames-He, local
Sureq, in compound proper names
Hireq-yod, or Holem (Full), in contruct state.

Of particular interest is pp. 249-250, section2, C,
(a)    Most commonly to express direction towards an object, or motion toward a
place. 'eReTZAH, means "to the earth." This is the accusatice ending. When used
with a place name that place name has the article followed by a Genitive of
definition, or ar proper names; hence, "to the land of the south," Gn 20:1 [
'eReTZAH HaNeGeB]; "to the land of Egypt, Exod 4:20 [ 'eReTZAH MiTZRaYiM];etc.

Since the locale, or place/proper name, in this instance, is referring to a
piece of "land" in the south, i.e. the Negev. Furthermore, since chapter 20 is
the lie of Abraham regarding Sarah to Abimelech, king of Gerar, it requires us
to understand that verse 1 is indicating a movement from a previous location to
another location. Abraham moved from Mamre [Hebron,18:1] to the Negev.

Rev. Bryant J. Williams III