[b-hebrew] Genesis 20: 1

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Thu Oct 11 01:15:24 EDT 2007

In fact, and I'm sure that you know this, in 18th century BCE Mari there
were two tribes that lived near the city: those who lived to its north were
called "Bene Samaal", and those you lived to its south were "Bene Yamin". If
you assume that the eponymous ancestors of the tribes were not "real"
people, but rather representative figures, then "Son of the South" would be
an apt name for the ancestor of the southernmost tribe of "Israel" (not
including Judah, and without getting into the question of when these
traditions developed).

On the other hand, Gen. 35:18 gives another explaination for the name
"Benjamin": as Rachel was dying in childbirth, she called her child "Ben
Oni". This can mean either "Son of my sorrow" or "Son of my strength".
"Yamin", meaning the right hand, also means "strength", so Jacob, by calling
him "Binyamin", preserved the more positive meaning of his dead wife's
request.

Yigal Levin