[b-hebrew] Genesis 20: 1

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Thu Oct 11 01:05:20 EDT 2007

Isaac,

Gen. 21:28-31 gives not one but two perfectly reasonable explanations for
the name Beer-Sheva, both based on the meaning(s) of the word Sheva (
$eba( ). While both reasons could be and very likely are etiological, what
reason could you have to propose a third meaning, for which you have to
assume that "sheva" is "really" "shefa". Even if (and that's a big "IF")
there is some connection between the words $B( "oath" or "seven" and $P(
"plenty" (and how about "decline"?), this does not mean that every time
someone says "seven", he really means "plenty".

Yigal Levin