[b-hebrew] Final nun

pporta at oham.net pporta at oham.net
Wed Oct 10 00:38:19 EDT 2007

  The ending -UN = -HUN in YAD(-UN is a variant of the independent personal pronoun HEN otherwise used as a stand alone to designate a group of females. In contrast, in $MAR-U-M, and $MAR-U-N, the -U = HU) is for the plurality of the guardians, and -M = HEM and -N=HEN are for the plurality of the guarded. Notice also the difference between $AMAR-NU, 'we guarded' and $MAR-A-NU, 'he guarded us'.
  The form -ON for an individual is found in XAR-ON, '[it is] anger', XESR-ON, '[it is] lack', XIPAZ-ON, '[it is] haste', and more. Possibly also in )AS-ON, 'calamity', )AT-ON, 'she-ass', and more. The radical/pronoun nature of the H,A,M,N,T,Y consonants of the detached personal pronouns )ANIY, )ATAH, )AT, HU), HIY), )ATEM, )ATEN, HEM, HEN is sometimes ambiguous.
  The ending -AN [the essential part of ANI, 'I'] is common in spoken Hebrew for a person doing something habitually or a thing having some inherent property: GAZL-AN, '[he is a] robber', XALB-AN, '[he is a] milkman', $AKR-AN, '[he is a] lier', SART-AN, 'crab', POTX-AN, '[it is a can] opener', all in accordance with RAXAM-AN-I-O-T = RAXAM-AN-HI)-HU)-AT, 'compassionate', of Lamentations 4:10 and XARC-AN, 'seeds?, kernels?, unripe grapes?' of Numbers 6:4.

  How do you explain these two facts:

  1. The final -N in BYTAN, palace (Est 1:5), built on BAYT, house.
  2. (In modern Hebrew) The final -N in NEKDFN, nephew <> the classical NEKDFN, their grandson (of females), of NEKED, progeny, grandson (Job 18:19)?

  Pere Porta
  Barcelona (Spain)

  Isaac Fried, Boston University