[b-hebrew] Genesis 20: 1

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Sun Oct 7 03:08:14 EDT 2007

Hello Jim,

Welcome back!

Besides the bad English, which you are aware of, your translation does not
work for three reasons:

1. Language. While the word "Negev" can refer to either the region of that
name in the south of Israel (in biblical terms, what we today would call the
northern Negev, or the Beer-Sheva - Arad valley. The areas south of that,
which today are included in the Negev, are called "the wilderness of
Sin/Zin" and "the wilderness of Paran" in the Bible), or it can just mean
"south". However in this case, the construct "Arcah Han-negev" is a proper
place-name: "The Land of the Negev". So it cannot mean "south of....".
While you might propose that the Shin in "Shur" should be read as a Sin,
that still does not get you to Sur/Tyre, which is spelled with a Sade (in
our transliteration system: Cur). Shin/Sin and Sade are not graphically
similar, nor are they phonetically interchangable, so your proposal does not
work.

2. Geography. Kadesh, Shur and Gerar are all well known places in the
western Negev and/or northern Sinai (in modern terms), even if there are
disagreements as to their exact identification. While in Gerar, Abraham and
Sarah have a "run-in" with the local king Abimelech, who in other passages
is identified as king of the Philistines and as having dealings in
Beer-Sheva. Whether you consider these stories as being historcal,
anachronistic or simply made-up, the geography is clear, and it points to
the western Negev. Remember that when Isaac arrives in the same Gerar and
meets the same Abimelech in chapter 26, he is on his way to Egypt.
On the other hand, Tyre and the northern Kedesh are in totally separate
geographical zones, and "Guri" is apparently in the area of what is now
known as the Golan (perhaps a corruption of "Geshur"). Even if "Guri south
of the line connecting Kedesh and Tyre" could work linguistically, it makes
no sense geographically.
By the way, that northern city is called "Kedesh" (despite the way it is
spelled in a lot of books), as are all of the other similarly named places
in the north (I know of three). The only place vocalized "Kadesh" is the one
in the south, Kadesh (Barnea). There are scholars, BTW, who believe that
there are two such places in the south as well, one called Kadesh-Barnea,
the other just Kadesh.

3. General context: As I've already pointed out, the whole story takes place
in the south. In the next few chapters, Abraham is still in the south. He
sends Hagar to the southern desert. He meets Abimelech in Beer-Sheba. And
eventually, he sets out from there to sacrifice Isaac. There is no mention
of his having returned from the far north. Your whole conception of the
desert as a place that Abraham would find inhospitable for his wife and
newborn son is unbased. Abraham was a pastoralist nomad - a Beduin in
today's terminology. Such areas as the northern Sinai and Western Negev,
with their seasonal streams, springs and wells were exactly the kind of
terrain that he was at home in. Thousands of babies are born there every
year - why would Abraham even think of looking for a different place? And to
travel with a very old, pregnant wife all the way to Lebanon, with its
forests and snow? Why on earth?

Yigal Levin