[b-hebrew] Stress

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Sat Oct 6 20:25:09 EDT 2007

Pere,

I am sorry, but I fail to see what makes A-LAMD-AH of Psalms 51:15
"cohortative" or even merely urgent. I am afraid you are reading into
the text something that is not there. Looking at the word I fail to
see visions of a poet shaking threateningly his fist at his
adversaries. In fact, the New American Bible translates it calmly and
without much ado as "I will teach". KJV paraphrases it as "Then will
I teach", with "then" intrusively added.
A-LAMD-AH of Psalms 51:15 is apparently a variant of the pi'el form A-
LAM-E-D. In my opinion the pi'el form [as well as the hif'il form]
contains two personal pronouns, one for the actor and one for the
beneficiary of the act. In A-LAMD-AH the internal E of A-LAM-E-D
migrated to the end of the word, where it stands now as AH = HI) for
the transgressors. The initial A- of A-LAMD-AH is obviously a
collapsed )ANI, 'I'. It is also conceivable that the last -AH is for
the speaker himself, or that it is even a crushed ANI-HI), 'I-them'.
I also fail to discern any "cohortative" trait in A-LAQT-AH of Ruth
2:7. Is the girl stomping her foot while declaring it? She is in fact
putting it very softly and gently as A-LAQT-AH NA). And what about V-
A-SAP-TI, 'and I will gather', in which the ending -TI is surly the
personal pronoun ATI=ANI? And what about $IBT-AH [with a H mupeket]?
By the way, is $AMR-AH, '[she] guarded', some sort of "assertative"?
In Isaiah 25:9 NA-GIL-AH, 'we will rejoice', [as well as V-NI-SMX-
AH], the initial -NA is a collapsed ANU, and the last -HA is a
contracted HI), referring both to the speakers. For a woman it is TA-
GIL-I = AT-GIL-HI), and for the many it is TA-GIL-U = ATAH-GIL-HU).
I agree with George that those are old form that fell later into
disuse. Still, we need to explain this -AH within the systematics of
the Hebrew grammar. It is, in my opinion, surely not an empty sound
but always a personal pronoun.
How, and in what capacity, -AH can be a "particle" is not clear to me.

Isaac Fried, Boston University