[b-hebrew] Stress

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Sat Oct 6 20:02:02 EDT 2007

Yaakov,

Oh, how I hate this pair of words "insufficient evidence". There is
never sufficient evidence for no nothing. As a scientist you should
that there is "insufficient evidence" even for such fundamental laws
of nature as conservation of energy and conservation of mass. If you
insist on "sufficient evidence", then the world will come to a
standstill.
In my opinion Hebrew (like nature) is absolutely systematic. It
consists entirely of roots and personal pronouns. If a letter is not
radical, then it is a personal pronoun. Admittedly, it is not much to
work with, yet Hebrew manages admirably.
In the word (ACMA)-U-T, 'independence', from the root (CM, the
endings -U-T = HU)-AT, are two personal pronouns for the thing
itself. It is to be distinguished from (ACMA)-I = (CMA)-HI), '[he is]
independent', (ACMA)-I-T = (ACMA)-HI)-AT, '[she is] independent',
(ACM-AH = (ACMA-HI), 'strength', (CM-AT, '[the] strength [of]', (ACM-
U-T = (ACM-HU)-AT, 'essence', (ACM-I = 'self', (ACM-I-U-T = (ACM-HI)-
HU)-AT, '[the] essence [of]'.
In (ACAM-O-T = (ACAM-HU)-AT, the O = HU) is for the plural and the T
= AT is for the gender. Sorry, but that's all Hebrew has to work with
and we need to patiently bear with her.
Of course, the words (ACMA)UT, 'independence', and (ACAMOT, 'bones'
are related. They are related by their common progenitor, the root
(CM, 'to be massive, to be strong, to be substanial'.
The final H is a personal pronoun, not necessarily feminine. I have a
well thumbed copy of Zeidel's Hikrei Lashon somewhere here, but I
need to find it.
The word "paragogic H" is never going to cross the threshold of my
lips because it demeans the Hebrew language.

Isaac Fried, Boston University