[b-hebrew] Keleyha (Ex 39:37)

B. M. Rocine brocine at twcny.rr.com
Tue Oct 2 21:12:08 EDT 2007

Hi Pere,

You ask about an unusual word.  I do not think it is clear whether the
one yod in K"LEYHF is a radical or a masculine plural construct ending,
but I will venture an explanation favoring the latter.

Since the plural of K:LIY is K"LIYM rather than K"L:YIM, I would say the
yod of K:LIY is dispensable, yielding to the regular morphological
alterations of the plural and the plural construct.  Thus,

the singular with suffix is KEL:Y:KF, (retaining the radical yod)
the plural construct is K:L"Y (with the radical yod dropped and the
regular yod of the masculine plural construct added)
the plural construct with suffix is K"LEYKF (radical yod dropped and yod
of construct added)

I think the radical yod would prove dispensable if it is not a part of
the original root from which the noun is derived, perhaps KLH or KL'.

Why are you interested in specifying the function of the yod in K"LEYHF?

HTH,
Bryan

--
B.M. Rocine