[b-hebrew] Stress

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Mon Oct 1 18:43:34 EDT 2007

Yaakov,

I take it that by "LKH DWDY" you mean LKAH DODI [not LEKAH] of Song
of Songs 7:12
לְכָה דוֹדִי נֵצֵא הַשָּׂדֶה
as borrowed into the Sabbath night piut by that name. If so, then the
word "hurry" in your translation is, in my opinion, superfluous. I am
afraid you are reading into the text something that is not there. It
also sours for me the prose.
The KJV translates LKAH as "let us go forth".
In my opinion the final HA of LKAH is the personal pronoun HI)
referring to the, DOD, the lover.
What makes you [and king James] actually think that LKAH is plural,
referring to both lovers?

Isaac Fried, Boston University

On Oct 1, 2007, at 12:44 PM, Yaakov Stein wrote:

> Isaac,
[cut]
> The use of LKH instead of LK carried over to later hebrew
> (e.g. LKH DWDY meaning "let's hurry to greet the bride").
>
> So I fail to see an argument here against the ending H used as "he
> hazeruz"
> (the so called paragogic he) in biblical hebrew.
>
> Y(J)S
[cut]