[b-hebrew] Stress

Reinhard G. Lehmann lehmann at uni-mainz.de
Mon Oct 1 12:14:18 EDT 2007

What a funny nonsense. A little bit knowledge in Ugaritic, Phoenician
and other Ancient Northwest Semitic languages would be helpful - maybe.
Nothing more to add here.

    Yaakov, 1. We need to distinguish between what something actually
    is, and what something is merely "As a matter of fact so-called", as
    Dr. Reinhard G. Lehmann puts it. 2. An ulterior stress makes YAMAH =
    YAM-HI), into a 'lake, small sea' [in common use now but not found
    in the Hebrew bible], with the feminine pronoun ending HI) used I
    think for diminution, as in KAP, 'table spoon', versus KAPIT =
    KAP-HI)-AT, 'tea spoon'. Also in existence is YAMAH = YAM-HI), 'her
    YAM, her sea', with a mapik in the closing H. 3. In YAMAH = YAM-HI),
    'to the sea, westward', the personal pronoun is for the sea itself
    in lieu of "he hayedi(ah". 4. In RIBAH = RIB-HI) the personal
    pronoun is for the addressee [address-he?], whereas in NA-LIN-AH and
    NA-$KIM-AH, of Song of Songs 7:12-13, both NA and HA are personal
    pronouns standing for the courting pair. [I don't think this NA is
    "nu hazeruz", as in the commonly heard from impatient children NU
    KBAR.] In the form NA-$KIB-AH, 'we will lay her down', the initial
    NA is ) ANU for the speakers portending the act, and the last HI) is
    for the person intended to receive the benefit of the act. In Song
    of Songs 7:13 we also find PARX-AH = PARAX-HI), 'bloomed', with HI)
    referring here to the vines themselves. 6. In Exodus 15:16 )EYMATAH
    = )EYM-ATAH = )EYM-AT-HI), the final pronoun ATAH [or the compound
    AT-HI)] is for the terror itself. In Daniel 7:7 we find V-EMTANI,
    prompting the later derivatives: )EYMTAN = )EYM-AT-AN, 'terorist',
    )EYMTANI = )EYM-AT-AN-HI) 'dreadful, fearful' and )EYMTANUT =
    )EYM-AT-AN-HU)-AT, 'terrorization'. Isaac Fried, Boston University