[b-hebrew] Stress

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Mon Oct 1 08:29:17 EDT 2007

Yaakov,

1. We need to distinguish between what something actually is, and
what something is merely "As a matter of fact so-called", as Dr.
Reinhard G. Lehmann puts it.
2. An ulterior stress makes YAMAH = YAM-HI), into a 'lake, small
sea' [in common use now but not found in the Hebrew bible], with the
feminine pronoun ending HI) used I think for diminution, as in KAP,
'table spoon', versus KAPIT = KAP-HI)-AT, 'tea spoon'. Also in
existence is YAMAH = YAM-HI), 'her YAM, her sea', with a mapik in the
closing H.
3. In YAMAH = YAM-HI), 'to the sea, westward', the personal pronoun
is for the sea itself in lieu of "he hayedi(ah".
4. In RIBAH = RIB-HI) the personal pronoun is for the addressee
[address-he?], whereas in NA-LIN-AH and NA-$KIM-AH, of Song of Songs
7:12-13, both NA and HA are personal pronouns standing for the
courting pair. [I don't think this NA is "nu hazeruz", as in the
commonly heard from impatient children NU KBAR.]
In the form NA-$KIB-AH, 'we will lay her down', the initial NA is )
ANU for the speakers portending the act, and the last HI) is for the
person intended to receive the benefit of the act.
In Song of Songs 7:13 we also find PARX-AH = PARAX-HI), 'bloomed',
with HI) referring here to the vines themselves.
6. In Exodus 15:16 )EYMATAH = )EYM-ATAH = )EYM-AT-HI), the final
pronoun ATAH [or the compound AT-HI)] is for the terror itself. In
Daniel 7:7 we find V-EMTANI, prompting the later derivatives: )EYMTAN
= )EYM-AT-AN, 'terorist', )EYMTANI = )EYM-AT-AN-HI) 'dreadful,
fearful' and )EYMTANUT = )EYM-AT-AN-HU)-AT, 'terrorization'.

Isaac Fried, Boston University