[b-hebrew] 2Ki 2:11-12

B. M. Rocine brocine at twcny.rr.com
Mon Oct 1 07:30:11 EDT 2007

Hi Jason,

In English we tend to insert consequence in our interpretation of the
scene, like so: when Elijah was taken up in a cyclone, Elisha saw it.

But the Hebrew does not indicate sequence and does not specify what
Elisha saw.  It says only ve'eliysha` ro'eh--that he "was looking."  At
what?  His exclamation indicates, "The chariot of Israel and its
horses!"  which can suggest he missed Elijah's departure when he was
distracted by the incredible appearance of the chariot and horses.

Why did he tear his garments?  I wouldn't think he would grieve over the
magnificent sight of his surly master's departure.

Blessings,
Bryan

--
B.M. Rocine