[b-hebrew] Genesis 31: 47: What Foreign Language Is That? (FROM MODERATORS)

David Kummerow farmerjoeblo at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 30 18:32:43 EST 2007

Dear Kirk,

I'm afraid I did not exactly say what you attribute to me, viz. that
"b-hebrew exists to promote scholarly discussion." Rather, I said that
b-hebrew is a list which "seeks to promote scholarly sincerity in
relation to the analysis and discussion of BH". This is quite different
and what I take it George meant when he said: "let's create an
environment where we can exchange ideas cordially and in a scholarly
manner."

"Scholarly discussion" and "scholarly sincerity/scholarly manner" are
not the same things to my mind. Like I said, the value of the list
diminishes if people move on. But so too the value of the list
diminishes if scholarly disciplines are not maintained nor expected. So
sure: we should be allowed free speech as it pertains to the list bounds
-- but not everything falling under "free speech" should be allowed if
it is essentially "statements of fact" without any corroborative
evidenced adduced. Indeed, the list guidelines state: "support your
counterpoints with evidence". But what if the *main points* are not even
supported?

Sincerely,
David Kummerow.