[b-hebrew] Genesis 31: 47 - Suffix -UT

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Wed Nov 28 21:51:53 EST 2007

David,

Whenever you look at an U and an I [also O and E] in a Hebrew word
you see a universal identity marker [also known as a personal
pronoun], invariably. If T is not radical, then it is a personal
pronoun, invariably. I have said this repeatedly on this list [also,
of course, in my book, which can be seen in its entirety at
www.hebrewetymology.com].
It is for illustrative purposes only that I specifically read -U- as
HU), and -I- as HI). Consider the example of $-U-LAX, $AL-U-AX, and
$ALX-U, of the root $LX, 'send'. Even though the latter means 'THEY
have sent' I permit myself to read it as $ALX-HU) by virtue of the
universality of U.
I am preparing now a reply to Kenneth Greifer in which I will
elaborate on this in some greater detail.

Isaac Fried, Boston University