[b-hebrew] ps 29:11 BA$.FLOWM vs B:$FLOWM

David Kummerow farmerjoeblo at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 28 05:41:54 EST 2007

Gday Vincent,

Intriguing issues are raised in your post. Some thoughts:

1) As you say, בַשלום would prototypically form a separate prosodic
phrase. However, the preceding conjunctive accent unusually includes
בַשלום within its scope contra the prototypical prosodic separation of a
phrase like בַשלום

2) What, indeed, is the functional motivation for the use of the
definite article? Perhaps it's recognitional use of the definite
article: "the peace (which we all know comes from God)" or "the peace
(which we has come from God)".

3) Interesting suggestion that the accents provide some sort of "quality
control" in copying. Certainly in interpretation. In copying is
something knew, but it could lend itself to that.

4) My feeling is that commentators skip such details because they are
more interested in the "big picture" rather than the details of the
Hebrew grammar itself. Compare a "technical" OT commentary with a NT
one: often they're worlds apart in their treatment of the actual
grammatical details of the text itself.

Regards,
David Kummerow.