[b-hebrew] Genesis 31: 47 - Suffix -UT

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Wed Nov 28 01:02:09 EST 2007

Pere,

The flow chart should go, methinks, this way

                   ----------> MELEK, king

MLK, root
                   ----------> MALKUT, kingdom, kingship

Now, matters become befogged because we jump from one language to
another and think that by mechanical translation we achieve
understanding. To understand the Hebrew you need to explain to
yourself what MELEK and MALKUT mean without using the English
equivalents, only the root MLK.

Isaac Fried, Boston University