[b-hebrew] Genesis 31: 47: What Foreign Language Is That?

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Mon Nov 26 17:18:12 EST 2007

David,

I have horror of abstract arguments and vague courses of reasoning.
If you are interested in keeping this discussion going, then we must
keep it concrete and focused.
I asked you if you [not some doctoral candidate at MIT] agree that
$AMART = $AMAR+AT
$AMARTA = $AMAR+ATAH
$AMARNU = $AMAR+ANU
$AMARTEM = $AMAR+ATEM
where AT, ATAH, ANU and ATEM are the stand-alone Hebrew personal
pronouns, but did not receive a clear answer.
These equalities are so obvious, or apparently obvious, that they
have surly been observed over time by many a discerning Hebraist. As
I said before, even the usually reticent Gesenius remarks on it
somewhere in his grammar book. Also on the similar composite
structure of the prefixed forms.

Isaac Fried, Boston University