[b-hebrew] Genesis 31: 47: What Foreign Language Is That?

David Kummerow farmerjoeblo at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 26 00:06:17 EST 2007

Hi Isaac,

I think you need to explain what you mean by "function" and "meaning"
below, specifically: "I don't dispute the function of -UT. Our
disagreement is on its meaning."

If you agree on the function of the morpheme -ut, it would seem to me
that your disagreement then is not so much over meaning but on the
historical make-up of the form, i.e. that it is a fusion and
grammaticalisation from two (!) independent personal pronouns. However,
given the function of the morpheme, this proposal is most unlikely
(actually, I would go as far as to say impossible). It is also
unsubstantiated, and is as "superficial" as your treatment of the
English data, which I will not go into.

Regards,
David Kummerow.