[b-hebrew] Peer Review

Uri Hurwitz uhurwitz at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 25 11:54:36 EST 2007

  Reviews are important, and most publishers - in many fields - happily print them on dust jackets when obtaining them pre-publication.

    Human nature being what it is, it happens that Somebody will be cited or praised in a  work being reviewed, and lo and behold, the very same Somebody  then gives a high, quoatble opinion on that same work. This is known as 'scratch my back and I'll scratch yours'.

    That is true in all fields of human endeavor and scholarship, and especially  in such value laden areas as biblical language, content and historicity, when a reviewer will tend to praise works that support his or her agenda.

    Uri Hurwitz