[b-hebrew] Genesis 31: 47: What Foreign Language Is That?

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Sat Nov 24 17:41:56 EST 2007

Jim,

The Ending -UTA is the grafted combined personal pronoun HU)-AT-HI)
or HU)-ATAH needed to turn the root SHD into the noun SAHAD-UTA, 'he
[the thing] which has the property embodied in the root SHD'.
It corresponds to the -UT = HU)-AT ending of (ED-UT, 'evidence,
precept, decree', as of Psalms 19:8.
It is possible that the purpose of the last HI) in the triplet HU)-AT-
HI) serves the function of a definite article, as is the pre-
positioned Hebrew HA- = HI), say, HA-(ED-UT.

Isaac Fried, Boston University