[b-hebrew] Psalm 45:9

JBarach at aol.com JBarach at aol.com
Tue Nov 20 17:24:13 EST 2007

B-Haverim --

I see that several commentaries and some translations suggest that  מני in
Psalm 45:9 is a contraction of מנים, "strings," which is a reference  to
stringed instruments in Psalm 150:4.

There are, however, some who take מני simply to be from מן, as a
duplication of the מן at the beginning of the line (as in Isa. 59:18, where the
particle is repeated for emphasis: "according to their deeds, according to  [them]
will he repay"), so that the sense here is "From palaces of ivory,  from
[them] they have made you glad."

It seems that many modern commentaries go with the former and it does seem
to make sense ("From palaces of ivory stringed instruments have made you
glad"),  but ... is there any other passage where מניappears as a contraction of
מנים?  I suspect not.  Are such contractions, dropping the ם at the  end of
a plural, common?  Common enough that this is likely here in Psalm  45?

And what about the repetition of the particle?  Sure it happens in  Isa.
59:18, but ... does it happen elsewhere?  Again: Is it common enough  to make it
likely here in Psalm 45?

Thanks for your help!

John