[b-hebrew] MX&OP in Gen 30:37

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Sun Nov 18 18:06:45 EST 2007

Yaakov,

XSP means 'lift up, raise, elevate, bring forth' and hence by
implication 'expose to view, bare, reveal'. It is so in Isaiah 52:10

חָשַׂף יְהוָה אֶת-זְרוֹעַ קָדְשׁוֹ
לְעֵינֵי כָּל-הַגּוֹיִם וְרָאוּ
כָּל-אַפְסֵי-אָרֶץ אֵת יְשׁוּעַת
אֱלֹהֵינוּ

in Jeremiah 13:26, in Isaiah 30:14 and in Isaiah 47:2. Psalms 29:9

קוֹל יְהוָה יְחוֹלֵל אַיָּלוֹת
וַיֶּחֱשֹׂף יְעָרוֹת

is more enigmatic. I see the English translators divided over )AYALOT
being deer or oaks. Also about the meaning of YXOLEL, being to dance
or to generate.
By the equivalence of B, W, P; G, H, X, K, Q; D, Z, T, Y, S, C, $, T
we expose [XOSPIM] the immediate relatives of XSP

גדף
הדף
חטף, חצף, חשׂף, חתף
כסף, כשׁף, כתף
קטף, קצף

חטב, חצב, חשׁב
כזב, כשׂב, כתב
קצב, קשׁב

The MA- and the -O- in MA-XS-O-P are in my view personal pronouns.
MA- is essentially the stand-alone [before it got grafted onto XASOP]
MAH, 'the thing which is'. The internal -O- is a contracted HU),
'he', standing also for the thing itself. These two personal pronouns
[identity markers] turn the root XSP into the noun MAXSOP, 'the thing
which has the property of XSP'. The initial MA- is needed since
XASOP, 'you, expose', is already taken, and so is XASUP, 'he is
exposed'. Yet XASIP, with an internal I = HI) for the thing itself,
is available, and actually in use in 1 Kings 20:27. Only XASEP is
left available, but it is a rare and doubtful "mishkal" [see $ARET of
Numbers 4:12].
Hebrew employes now XASIPAH = XAS-I-P-AH for 'exposure', with the two
personal pronouns -I-  = -AH = HI) standing for the thing itself.

Isaac Fried, Boston University