[b-hebrew] Genesis 12: 5: Are "Souls" Slaves?

Shoshanna Walker rosewalk at concentric.net
Sat Nov 17 21:07:49 EST 2007

Stone Chumash:

"The souls refer to those whom they had converted to faith in Hashem,
for Abraham  converted the men and Sarah converted the women.
According to the SIMPLE meaning, however, it refers to the servants
they had acquired (Rashi) [note- "servants" not "slaves" -
Shoshanna], WHO HAD AGREED UNANIMOUSLY TO ACCOMPANY AVRAHAM ON HIS
MISSION  (Radak)"

See, Yigaal, you don't tell us the whole story.

Moreover, HOW in the world would a human being (Avraham and Sarah) be
able to CREATE ("asher asu" - ie' Avraham and Sarah, plural) a
Nefesh, ie; a spiritual aspect of a person????  Because the Torah
specifically states that they made a SPIRITUAL being, this must mean
spiritual ELEVATION of a human being, ie; conversion to knowledge and
worship of G-d.

Also, why is Nefesh singular?

Shoshanna

Actually, Shoshanna, Saadiah Gaon, Rashi, Ibn Ezra and Radak all interpret
it as meaning slaves, either before or after metioning that they could also
be people who they had "converted".

Yigal Levin