[b-hebrew] Ecclesiastes 3:11

K Randolph kwrandolph at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 19:23:00 EST 2007

Martin:

On 11/16/07, Martin Shields <enkidu at bigpond.net.au> wrote:
> Hi Karl,
>

> > But more importantly, is there a single instance where there is a
> > double negative where the negatives are separated by a )$R אשר? If
> > not, does it not make better sense to read it like the example that
> > you found from Solomon's speech in 1 Kings 8:46 where we find
> > [negative] )$R [negative] = [positive]?
>
> No, as I think I've said before, I can find no examples which include
> אשר. Indeed, I do think it should be read as "without which people
> cannot find..." as I've argued previously. Of course, it is not quite
> true that this is exactly the same as saying "with which people can
> find..."
>
> Regards,
>
> Martin Shields,
> Sydney, Australia.

A similar statement in English, "without a telescope one won't be able
to spot the moons of Mars" does not mean that with a telescope one
will be able to spot those moons. There's more to it. It's just that
one can't do it without.

It's interesting that two instances in Tanakh where we find this
[negative] )$R [negative] = [positive] sentence construction, both are
attributed to the same person, once here and mentioned twice
concerning a speech he made (1 Kings 8:46 and 2 Chronicles 6:36). It
is also found in an early document, Numbers 27:17.

Karl W. Randolph.