[b-hebrew] feast for the ears? Psalm 40:7

K Randolph kwrandolph at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 12:43:43 EST 2007

Kenneth:

On 11/16/07, kenneth greifer <greifer at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Maybe Psalm 40:7 says "a  sacrifice You did not desire, ears You gave a feast for me, a burnt offering and a sin offering You did not desire."
>
> Could this be like the saying "a feast for the eyes" when something looks nice? Maybe King David spoke about how great G-d was in Psalm 40:10-11, so he gave the people a feast for their ears.
>
> The verb kaf resh hay is usually translated as dig, but it is also translated as to give a feast once or twice (?).
>
> Kenneth Greifer

"A slaughtered (sacrifice) and a propitiatory gift you did not desire,
ears you prepared for me, you did not ask for whole burnt offerings
and offerings for sin"

More idiomatically, I see the second and third parts of the verse
working together: 'you gave me ears, you didn't ask for ...' with the
idea that 'I didn't hear you asking for ...' I think the Greek
translation has more of that idea.

KRH to furnish as in to provide, a derivative KRH provisions, once in
2 Kings 6:23. The verb is used a few times in the context of
"furnishing" a well or pit, as in preparing one (done by digging) but
it does not itself mean "to dig".

Karl W. Randolph.