[b-hebrew] Genesis 12: 5: RK$

JimStinehart at aol.com JimStinehart at aol.com
Wed Nov 14 14:30:58 EST 2007

Isaac  Fried:
You wrote:  "I would include in REKU$ cattle, goats,  tents, indentured
servants,
garments, jewelry, gold and silver, and the  basic household articles and
implements."
Now we're finally getting  somewhere.
1.  Cattle, goats
It is fascinating to note that there is no  specific mention of cattle or
goats in the Patriarchal narratives until  Abraham is in Egypt.  We know from
Genesis 12: 16 that Abraham used funds obtained in Egypt to buy various listed
animals.  And when Abraham gets back  to Canaan, Abraham has "miqneh", which I
interpret to mean "livestock" (viewed  from the standpoint of being a herd
that is a valuable possession).  Miqneh/livestock would primarily be  sheep and
goats in the Patriarchal narratives.  In English, "cattle" usually, though not
 always, is limited to cows, so I myself avoid the English word "cattle".
Miqneh/livestock usually would exclude  draft animals.
Although the term RK$ is admittedly broad  enough to include livestock and
other domesticated animals, it is notable that  the very first mention of
miqneh/livestock in the Patriarchal narratives is in  chapter 13 of Genesis (Genesis
13: 2), after Abraham has gotten back to Canaan  from Egypt.  It is hard for
me to  believe that this is an "oversight" on the part of the author of the
Patriarchal  narratives.  If Abraham had brought  a large flock of sheep and
goats with him out of Harran, surely the first half  of chapter 12 of Genesis
would refer specifically to such miqneh, wouldn't  it?
Thus I must disagree with you here.  I do not see Abraham as bringing any
sheep or goats from Harran to Canaan.  If he had done so, the text would refer
to miqneh, or would otherwise  specifically mention such important animals,
prior to the time that Abraham is  in Egypt.
2.  Indentured servants
As  to human beings who came with Abraham to Canaan from Harran (whether they
are  indentured servants or otherwise), that is probably covered by a
separate phrase  in Genesis 12: 5:  "the souls that they had gotten  in Haran".  RK$
here appears to be  applying to material goods only, not human  beings.
3.  Tents, garments,  and the basic household articles and implements
Yes, the necessities of life would be covered by  RK$.  But that goes without
 saying.  In my view, the author of  the Patriarchal narratives is trying to
tell us something special and important  by specifically reporting that
Abraham brought from Harran into southeastern  Canaan RK$, a word which he uses
repeatedly in chapter 14 of Genesis to refer to  luxury goods/booty.
4.  Jewelry,  gold and silver
It is true that, out of context, the word RK$ is broad  enough to include
"jewelry, gold and silver".  But would that make sense here?  If Abraham's
father's family had  "jewelry, gold and silver" in Harran, then why on earth was
Abraham's father  Terakh trying to lead the family into modest, unsophisticated
Canaan?
Moreover, the necessary implication of Genesis 13: 2 is  that before Abraham
went to Egypt, Abraham had not had any appreciable amount of  gold or silver:
"And Abram went up out of Egypt, he, and his wife, and  all that he had, and
Lot with him, into the South.  And Abram was very rich in cattle  [miqneh], in
silver, and in gold."  Genesis 13: 1-2
Genesis 13: 1-2 make no sense if, when Abraham left  Harran on his way to
southeastern Canaan, Abraham already had "cattle"/miqneh,  "silver" and "gold".
5.  Conclusion
In context, RK$ at Genesis 12: 5 does not include "cattle, goats,…indentured
servants,
…jewelry, gold and silver".  True, viewed in isolation, the word RK$ would be
broad enough to include  all those items.  But in the context  of Genesis 12:
5, as we have just seen, none of those items make sense for  Abraham to have
brought out of Harran.  If Abraham's father's family had those very valuable
items in Harran, why  then are they leaving Mesopotamia to make a very long,
hard journey to modest,  unsophisticated Canaan?  That simply  does not make
sense.
What  makes perfect sense, by sharp contrast, is if Abraham's father's family
left  their homeland in northern Canaan/Lebanon on a one-time caravan trip to
 Mesopotamia.  While on this long and  arduous caravan trip to Mesopotamia,
the family naturally bought luxury  commercial goods, which was the purpose of
the caravan trip.  Pursuant to YHWH's advice at Genesis 12:  1, Abraham does
not lead the caravan back to Lebanon.  Rather, YHWH directs Abraham to go to
southeastern Canaan.  There was no  way to sell luxury commercial goods in
southeastern Canaan, so in effect YHWH  has told Abraham to go into Egypt and sell
the luxury commercial goods directly  to Pharaoh's court in Egypt.  That  is
what happens, and that is why Abraham comes out of Egypt rich in silver and
gold.
The key word RK$ at Genesis 12: 5 is cluing us into the  key fact that
Abraham came from Harran to Canaan carrying luxury goods.  The luxury goods/RK$ at
Genesis 12: 5  are similar to the luxury goods that function as booty, under
the word RK$, five  times in chapter 14 of Genesis.
The text makes perfect historical sense, if we will only  see RK$ at Genesis
12: 5 as having the same meaning as its primary meaning in  chapter 14 of
Genesis:  luxury  goods.  Abraham is not indigenous to  Mesopotamia.  He made one
caravan  trip there, once.  That's all.  When Abraham got to southeastern
Canaan  from Harran, Abraham had a lot of valuable luxury commercial goods, RK$,
and  precious little else.  That promptly  changed when Abraham then went to
Egypt and sold such valuable luxury commercial  goods/RK$ to Pharaoh's court for
a high price.  Only then, and never before then, did  Abraham have
"cattle"/miqneh, "silver" and "gold", just as Genesis 13: 1-2 tells  us.
It all makes perfect sense, and is perfectly sensible,  historically and in
every other way.
Jim Stinehart
Evanston, Illinois