[b-hebrew] Genesis 12: 5: RK$

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Tue Nov 13 23:49:03 EST 2007

Karl,

You persist in confusing the root with the act. The root RK$ means a
'material aggregate of disparate bodies'. No more. It is a natural
state. The act RAKA$ means to create such a state of a valuable
collection, or corpus, in one's own home, or in one's own name. By
what means the act is carried out is a long socioeconomic story. In
America RAKA$ means 'accumulated diverse material [or even
intellectual] valuables by legal commercial means'. The slight
variant RAKAS is 'to create a pile of dust, to create a REKES'. If
REKES, 'mound', is also a REKU$, 'wealth', is not for language to
decide.

Isaac Fried, Boston University