[b-hebrew] PS: David "expelling" a soul in the New Testament?

goranson at duke.edu goranson at duke.edu
Tue Nov 13 13:04:29 EST 2007

Hi, Soren. I don't know the answer. I don't recall hearing this story. but,
since no one else replied, I'll make a few wild guesses of places to look.
Possibly relevant Library of Congress subject headings include David, King of
Israel--in literature. One book in that category, e.g., is
The David myth in Western literature /
Raymond-Jean Frontain;  Jan Wojcik 1980
English  Book xi, 212 p. : ill. ; 27 cm.
West Lafayette, Ind. : Purdue University Press,

Simlarly, Mary Blessed Virgin, Saint--legends.
Charlesworth and Mueller edited The New Testament Apocrypha and
Pseudepigrapha:
a guide to Publications. Schneemelcher and Wilson NT Apocrypha didn't show
anything obvious, but I didn't look hard.

Another possibility is that this story could appear in an illuminated
manuscript
or other art. If so, The Index of Christian art from Princeton might help. It
has a subscription online form. And there's a related book:
King David in the Index of Christian art /
Colum Hourihane 2002  xxvi, 438 p. : ill. ; 26 cm.
Princeton, N.J. : Princeton University Press, ; ISBN: 0691095469 (cloth : alk.
paper) 9780691095462 (cloth : alk. paper) 0691095477 (pbk. : alk. paper)
9780691095479 (pbk. : alk. paper)

And whichever likely suspect periodical indexs at hand.
Good luck.
Stephen Goranson
http://www.duke.edu/~goranson